Do I need any other checks or qualifications to do this course (eg Working With Children Check, Blue Card, Police Clearance)?
No, however, the personal attributes a person should possess to be successful in any events, travel or tourism careers include:
- Strong interpersonal skills,
- good people management skills,
- the capacity to understand and manage different cultures,
- the capacity to keep calm in a crisis,
- problem solving skills,
- organisational skils,
- presentation skills,
- attention to detail,
- strong product knowledge,
- the capacity to effectively market your product and
- excellent time management skills.
Students should also note that working conditions in the travel, tourism and events industry can often mean long hours, shift and weekend work depending on which area of the industry employment is sought. In some areas it can also offer job seekers flexible working conditions. Job seekers who are not flexible and are clock watchers usually don’t survive in these industry areas.
Fluency in languages other than English is highly desirable (especially mandarin) for students looking at tour guiding.
Enable Cookies to Submit Comments